Sunday, July 18, 2010

Telling stories

For the past two nights, Eli has spontaneously started telling us a story at the end of dinner. They are quite elaborate descriptions, but no real plot. Just a series of strong declarative sentences. They go something like this:

"The food got all mixed up!!!"

"With glass and doorbells!!!"

"And then we ate it!"

"And the food was all mixed up!"

We love these stories as Eli's eyes light up as he tries to think of another sentence. They are quite different from the other kind of "story" that Eli has been telling:

When Dadda was trying to change his diaper, Eli said he wanted to do it himself. Dadda told him "No, this is something Dadda needs to do."

Eli said, "Mama lets me do it myself."

Which is not true.

And then this morning Eli comes running into the living room crying and says to Mama, "I want a bagel! I want a bagel!"

Mama: "OK, you can have a bagel."

Eli: "Dadda won't let me have a bagel."

At which point, I hear Michael laugh out loud from the kitchen and say, "I just OFFERED you a bagel, Eli!"

No comments: