Sunday, March 8, 2009

Washing hands





I am trying to teach Eli to do more and more things for himself. One of the things I had been trying to teach him was to wash his hands. But of course, he can't reach our sinks himself so I would always have to hold him up, which would occupy my hands so I couldn't show him how to wash his own.

Anyway, Stefanie got me reading some Montessori books and they suggested a "hand-washing station." I bought a small end table at Goodwill ($7.99) and a small glass pitcher ($1.99) and a stainless steel pot ($1.99.) I set it up at home but Michael thought it was in the way (I had put it in our narrow dining room so Eli could wash his hands before eating.)

Michael worked on it and now it is just perfect! It fits in the bathroom, which is where we wash our hands anyway, and it has its own mirror and tile surface and soap dispenser. Eli loves to wash his hands there. In fact, he washed his hands there before and after sitting on his potty AND before taking a bath. Now it is so fun to teach him to wash his own hands :)

No comments: