Monday, July 28, 2008

No walk but a song







Eli had a long 21/2-hour nap this afternoon. Of course, it was right when I was going to go for a walk with Melissa, her son Oscar, Stefanie, and her son Alex. They were kind enough to just veg in my backyard for a bit, and it was a perfect day for it. It is so fun to see all of these Statesman Journal babies growing up -- they are so close in age and yet, at this stage, they are doing such different things. Alex was learning to go up the steps on our deck. Oscar was totally cooing at us and intensely studying the leaves on the tree above his head. Eli, as I mentioned, was unconscious.

When Eli finally woke up, we took him to Sarah and Jeremy's for dinner. Eli ate a ton! (We had pulled-pork sandwiches, Eli had oatmeal and pear puree). Eli had a great time watching Elliot and playing in their fun basement. Michael got a little bit too rough when he tried to get Eli to crawl. He was sort of pushing Eli's feet and Eli's face and knees were getting rug burn. Oh daddy...

After all the excitement, putting him to bed was quite a treat. I nursed him and gave him a few ounces from a bottle. Then I lay him in his crib and he started to cry because he didn't want me to leave. He started breathing really fast like he was anxious. So I rubbed his belly in a small circle over and over again and sang my version of Hush Little Baby. He listened for a long time, then yawned really big, and rolled over to go to sleep. That was it.

My version of Hush Little Baby came about because I never knew the words and wanted to sing to Eli when he was an infant. Since I was too sleep-deprived to look up the actual words, I just sang him my version over and over again. Now that I know the real version, I still like mine better. And the best part about mine is that it never ends. I can keep making up rhymes.

Hush Little Baby, by Beth

Hush little baby, don't say a word
Mama's gonna buy you a mockingbird
And if that mockingbird don't sing
Mama's gonna buy you a diamond ring
And if that diamond ring don't shine
Mama's gonna buy you a five-and-dime
And if that five-and-dime don't sell
Mama's gonna buy you a wishing well
And if that wishing well won't wish
Mama's gonna buy you a big green fish
And if that big green fish can't swim
Mama's gonna buy you a dolphin fin
And if that dolphin fin won't fly
Mama's gonna buy you a Russian spy

After that, things change every time I sing it to Eli. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Melissa said...

I love it!

Do you know the Sylvia Long version? I think you'd love it more than the original (not your original--you have to keep singing that one).

Here's how it starts:
“Hush little baby, don’t say a word,
Mama’s going to show you a hummingbird.
If that hummingbird should fly,
Mama’s going to show you the evening sky.”

It's on a website I found called Eco Child's Play (www.ecochildsplay.com), also right up your alley, I think.

Keep singing!