Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Never stop talking

I don't think that 3-year-olds ever stop talking. That can get old when you are on your 6th hour of conversations and your sentences are interrupted with "Why?" every six seconds, BUT 3-year-olds also have a way of making every conversation seem VERY important. And Mama gets a kick out of them! Some recent examples:

Text delivery

Eli asked if we could invite Elliot to play one day. I said, "Yes," and then texted Elliot's mom. A few minutes later:

Eli: "Can Elliot play today?"

Mama: "I don't know. I texted him. But I haven't gotten a message back."


Eli: "I think the mailman is still delivering it."


A new rule and a time for no rules


When Eli feels shy or anxious or ?, he growls. No, it's not funny. It is quite annoying actually. But there it is. One day, I was talking to him about how it is not nice to growl at people.


Mama: "Should we write down a rule that says don't growl at people?"


Eli: "Yes. But we can growl at wild animals who are trying to eat us?"


Mama, sighing: "Yes."


Eli: "Cuz why we don't want to get eaten!"


Dadda: "There are no rules when a wild animal is trying to eat you."


Africa


Eli still talks about Africa a lot. He still really wants to visit Africa. And he worries about how we will get there, what we will see there, if we will get eaten by a lion, etc.


Eli: "Do they have dirt in Africa?"


Mama: "Yes."


Eli: "Then I think we should bring a digger so I can dig in the dirt!"


Mama: "OK."


Eli: "I think you should bring crayons and paper and toys on the plane too so I won't feel bored."


Eli, after a pause: "My bottom is going to hurt for sitting that long!"


Marriage woes


The other day, Eli asked me what Daddy told the man who was driving the UPS truck.


Mama: "He told him that he will ask his wife to move the car."


Eli: "What's a wife?"


Mama: "I am Dadda's wife. He is my husband. We call each other those names because we are married. We are married because we love each other very much ..."


Before Mama could continue discussing marriage, Eli says, "I don't want to get married."


Mama: "OK"


Eli: "You tell them that?"


Mama: "Who?"


Eli: "The man who makes people get married."


Mama: "There isn't a man who makes people get married ..."


Eli: "Then who makes people get married?"

No comments: