Tuesday, April 13, 2010

I can't believe I just said that!

People often focus on the cute, funny or bizarre things that 2-year-olds say. But have you ever stopped to listen to what parents of 2-year-olds are forced to say? I find it quite amusing. Here's just two examples from yesterday:

Eli, in learning to use his potty, often has accidents. Yesterday morning he pooped in his pajama pants (no diaper, no underwear). Once I had cleaned him all up, I reached for a diaper.

Eli: "No Mama, pajamas."

Mama: "Oh, those are dirty. I am going to put you in a clean diaper and pants."

Eli, starting to cry: "No, Elmo pajamas!" He reaches for the balled up pajama pants.

Mama: "Oh, I'm sorry Eli. We don't wear pants covered in poop."

Later that day, Eli is helping Mama set the table for dinner. He is not wearing any pants (yes, yes, this is part of potty training also, I swear!)

Mama: "Here is the silverware Eli. Can you put it on the table?"

I carry out plates just a few seconds behind Eli.

Mama: "Oh Eli! We don't put silverware in our butts!"

No comments: